This is a two day process, so start the night before you want to serve it.
An easy delicious homemade eggnog to make the day before you serve it.
- 13 eggs, separated (cover and refrigerate eggs)
- 13 tabls sugar
- 2 cups bourbon
- 2 cups dark rum (such as Mount Gay)
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 quart half and half
- 1 pint cream
- grated nutmeg to tast
- Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk.
- Sloooooowly at first, add two cups of bourbon, stirring constantly (yolks will “cook” if the liquor surprises them too fast). Afterward, okay to go faster.
- Add two cups of dark rum and the brandy. Whisk to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- Place mixture in fridge overnight, covered, and allow liquor & eggs to become acquainted.
- The next day, strain the eggnog into a punch bowl.
- Whisk in the half and half.
- Whip the reserved egg whites until stiff, and fold into the mixture (use punch ladle to gently dunk the whites under the surface until combined).
- Whip a cream until stiff, fold into mixture using same process.
- Top with nutmeg and put back in fridge until time to serve.
- Once you serve it, the cream/whites may need another minor dunking if any rises to the surface.