Here's my recipe for the classic chex party mix, which we made at the holidays but makes for great snacking during the Super Bowl.
My Chex Party Mix (aka Nuts & Bolts)
The seasoned mix of cereals, pretzels and nuts.
- 4 cups bite-sized shredded wheat
- 5 cups corn Chex
- 4 cups Fritos
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 pound mixed nuts (1 large can)
- 1 cup peanuts
- 6 ounces butter
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 to 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I like the full 4 tablespoons, but this is to taste)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- juice from ½ lemon
- Turn your oven to 250˚F.
- In a roasting pan, combine the shredded wheat, Chex, Fritos, pretzels, and nuts. Toss to combine.
- combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan, and bring to a simmer. When the butter has melted, stir the pot well, then drizzle the mixture over the cereals, tossing as you do, and stopping to stir the pot frequently so the onion and garlic powders don't settle on the bottom. The idea is to get everything uniformly coated with the mixture.
- Put the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 90 minutes, stirring and tossing thoroughly every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove form the oven and allow to cool completely. Store in an air tight container.