On annual vacay visiting Mom and trying, trying to take it easy before Egg promotional travels begin in April, thus this repost and old photo by my beloved (who's currently lounging poolside). I'm posting the daiquiri because that's what I love to drink when in Palm Beach, the place where I met Donna. Always a kind of anniversary for us when we're here. This is a fabulous, simple elixir. One sip should make you want to strangle the person who invented the "frozen daiquiri." What a travesty those slushy drinks are, further emblems of American idiocy. Hoping you'll try this genuine cocktail (lime juice is perfect if you don't have access to Key limes).
Happy Friday all!
Originally Posted February 1, 2013
This blast of arctic air and wind and snow and gray has me longing for the lovely afternoons and evenings of the Key West I left a week ago. Nine full days there, writing, cooking, carousing with the sailing droogs. Sigh. So, to cheer myself, I made some Key Lime Daiquiris—proper daiquiris, with nothing but rum, citrus, and simple syrup. The frozen daiquiri and the frozen margarita are yet more travesties America has made of previously fine libations. I think I was in my thirties when I learned that a daiquiri wasn't a slushie with alcohol.
So I fight off these, the worst weeks of the year, with memories of Key West, rum, and Key limes (and thanks to you, Rob and Ab!). Yes, that's blue Ohio winter in the background of Donna's shot, but I love how it recalls the warm blue water of the Florida Keys.
Happy Friday, all.
Key Lime Daiquiri
- 60 grams light rum (2 ounces)
- 30 grams Key lime juice (1 ounce, about 5 Key limes)
- 30 grams simple syrup (1 ounce; 1:1 sugar to water by weight)
- ¼ Key lime for garnish
- Combine rum, lime juice, and simple syrup in shaker, fill with ice, stir for 90 seconds, and strain into a frozen glass.
- Garnish with Key lime.
- Sit back and imagine summer; it will be here before you know it.
Other links you may like:
- My other cocktails featuring rum: The Dark and Stormy, The Man About Town, and a Rum Old Fashioned
- Rum and its history from Slate Magazine.
- Everything you needed to know about key limes.
© 2013 Michael Ruhlman. Photo © 2013 Donna Turner Ruhlman. All rights reserved.