I’m continuing the citrus binge as it’s a remedy for the winter blasts we’ve been getting. My favorite vodka mixer had long been grapefruit juice—because I’m a fan of bitter. Bitter is good. But then those tangerines floated into the house and I have to say, The Robertson is one bright cocktail.
But back to the basics now, on this busy, busy week, struggling with two manuscripts, a trip to DC to talk Schmaltz, Boston on Sunday, and a manuscript to finish. Something simple and refreshing to end the week.
Please, now is the time, fresh grapefruit juice only. That’s what makes the drink. Squeeze it by hand if you don’t have a juicer or a reamer. It’s all about the freshness of the juice.
Happy Friday, all.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3 to 4 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Wedge of lime
- Combine the fluids over ice in a highball glass and add a wedge of lime. It’s winter. Embrace it.
Other links you may like:
- My past cocktail posts with vodka: the Madras, Sea Breeze, Cosmo, Lemon Drop, and Moscow Mule.
- Learn about the different types of grapefruit.
- Jazz up the classic Greyhound with St. Germain.
© 2014 Michael Ruhlman. Photo © 2014 Donna Turner Ruhlman. All rights reserved.